Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Adventures of Norway: Oh, the Places You'll Go.

Hello again,

I hope that everyone enjoyed the last blog entry. Things are changing quickly here as the new semester begins. I have three new roommates. One is from France (Sarah), one is from South Korea (Juhan) and one is from Norway (Mona). 

I'd also like to give a shout out to Leah while I can. For those of you looking for another great read about the lives of students living abroad, I suggest reading Leah Black's blog. You can find the link here: http://livingthelifeoflizziemcguire.tumblr.com/

Now, I'm sure that those of you who have been reading up on your Dr. Suess literature know all too well where I stole the title for this blog from. However, I wont be entertaining you with a quaint graduation speech today. Instead I want to show all of you the splendors of Europe, many of which I plan to see before I leave. I can say, with the utmost confidence, that you should- no, you must- see at least one of these places before your grandchildren steal all your money! (Thanks Grandma and Grandpa :]) 

I'll start with some of the places I've been, and finish with some of the places I hope to go. Let it begin! 

Number one: Kjerag

The treacherous climb up a steeply inclined, quite large 'hill' in the rain was well worth seeing this beauty. You betcha. I'd give an arm and a leg to go back to this place. Take a look for yourself on the world wide web, in tourist books, or in a magazine. But be sure to immediately follow up your research with a real life mountain expedition on the western coast of Norway.  








Number two: Tromsø 

Uffda. This place is amazing. As you travel throughout the outskirts of the small northern city of Tromsø, you will find yourself in pure awe at the surroundings. Tromsø has mountains, lakes, rivers, fjords, dog sledding, northern lights, and a brand of beer only sold in the northern parts of Norway. And let me tell ya what, it's worth every penny in your piggy bank. For real. 









Number three: Paris

I'll be darned if I never make it back to Paris again. Honestly, I loved Paris. The greatest thing about the city is probably the strangest thing about it. That 'strange thing' happens to be nothing other than the Eiffel tower. This large metal structure towers over... oh, who am I kidding? You all know what it is. But really, who would have ever thought that sitting in front of a large metal structure could be so breathtaking? Equally great is the fact that everyone around you is in awe. You're all caught up in a moment you'll remember forever and that is great. While you're there, you may as well go to the top to see a view unlike any other. 







Number four: Poland 

I'm all out of silly Norwenglish sayings, so bear with me here. Poland is a large area to try and narrow down, especially if you've only been to one city like I have. But, I can say this: the flights are cheap, the food is cheap, the beer is cheap,  the loddging is cheap, the clothing is cheap.... Once again, you get it. If you're looking for a cheap place to party, with a few large cities then I suggest Poland. The flight I took to AND from Poland was $17. Think about that for a moment. Now think about the fact that a beer in Oslo costs around $15 dollars. Pretty easy choice. (Pictures from the city Poznan)






Places I want to see and will see (and places YOU should considering seeing too!) 

Number one: Rome 

When in Rome, right? That's right. I plan to live life beyond it's fullest and do as the Romans do. Now, I've heard Rome is essentially a giant museum with gelato. As we all know, the gelato is reason enough to go. But honestly, who doesn't love seeing one of the ancient world's most well know cities? If you answered "me" to that question, may the gods frown upon you. In all seriousness, Rome has a lot to offer. With over 400 km of aqueducts spanning across the city, the great Colosseum, the Vatican, St. Peter's Basilica and the Catacombs Rome may just be my dream city. I hope to find out soon.

(catacombs)






Number two: Trolltunga- The Troll's Tongue

Trolltunga comes in at a close second to Rome on my list of places I MUST see. Trolltunga is another rock structure located near Odda, Norway. (Southwest Norway) From what I've seen and heard, this massive tongue shaped cliff is a must see here in Norway and I can't wait for the chance to have my breath taken away one more time. I never realized how beautiful the world was until I went hiking throughout Norway. Oh, the things you learn! 






Number three: Amsterdam

Now, if you've actually been paying attention to some of my recent blogs, you'll know that I've already been in Amsterdam. BUT, I was only there for around 6 hours and I didn't really get the opportunity to experience the city. However, what I did see was absolutely different. I'm not talking big city different or even Europe different. I'm talking Amsterdam different. I'll spare you the gritty details and say this: Amsterdam is the definition of culture shock. (I don't think that makes as much sense as I think it does, but you get the point)








Number four: Spain

I've decided to choose another country rather than naming a specific city. On paper, Spain has almost everything a tourist could want. Looking for a large city scene to enjoy a party filled weekend? Try Madrid on for size. How about a historic experience filled with castles and more? Try Castillo de Loarre near the French border or Castillo de Gormaz in north- northwest Spain. If this doesn't fancy your liking, you can enjoy the beach scenes along the coast of Spain! Endless opportunity, endless fun for all. ¡Viva España!



And there you have it!

Stay tuned for more Adventures of Norway!


No comments:

Post a Comment