Friday, April 18, 2014

Adventures of Norway: Vacations on vacations on vacations.

Hello again,

I'm sure you've all missed me! Maybe not! None the less, that doesn't matter. I've been up to a lot lately. I'll start off by just apologizing for the lack of blogs lately. I'm sure if you've been paying attention you would know that blogging does not consume my life...nonetheless, I was a bit lazy. So, lets go ahead and get this show on the road.

The semester is rolling on and we're past "midterms" here in Oslo. I recently had two papers due in both of my history courses. Relatively pointless information at first, right? Well, I pulled a typical Brent move and submitted the same paper for both classes on accident. I received an email informing that I had failed the paper for one of my courses and, to say the least, I was shocked. Being the person I am, I immediately went to reread the paper that I submitted online to see if I could notice any large mistakes that would warrant a failing grade. That's when I realized that I submitted a paper about Viking age kings in stead of a paper on the influences on technology during Antiquity and the Middle Ages. Either way, I was able to resubmit the real paper.

Now, why don't we move onto the stuff you actually want to read then... travels!!! Please, just try and hold your excitement in. I've been to two new cities within the last month and I've revisited one. The first of these, Stockholm, was a much need scenery change. Although Sweden is somewhat similar to Norway, their respective capitals are, in my eyes, quite different. Oslo is a relatively small capital to be honest. Stockholm on the other hand is fairly large. Unlike Oslo, Stockholm also seems to have a richer cultural personality. Oslo has this feeling of a completely a functional city. Sites such as the Akerhus castle and the folks museum are certainly nice, but Stockholm was really a beautiful city with a lot of Scandinavian feeling, much like Copenhagen. Anyway, I'll let you enjoy the pictures below now!

Royal Palace of Stockholm

Vasa Ship @ Vasa ship museum 


To be honest, I don't have very many photos from Stockholm, so its hard for me to really give you an idea of the city. Either way, it was fun. 

After a brief three day return to Oslo, two friends and I headed out to take a short trip in Amsterdam followed by a nice reunion in Hamburg with some old friends. Amsterdam was much more enjoyable compared to my previous visit (mainly because I was there for more than 6 hours). Although we only stayed in Amsterdam for one full night, it was still plenty of fun! The weather there was beautiful! We set out to see parts of the red light district, went to a park, enjoyed some local beer, and sat by the canals as the sun set. It was truly a great trip!
Beer sampler in Amsterdam. Go there. Try their beer. You will not regret. 

Just me acting casual in Amsterdam. The canals make a great backdrop

The group in Amsterdam! 

As I said earlier, we headed to Hamburg after Amsterdam to meet up with some friends for a reunion. The reunion was a blast! It is a bit strange to think that I may never see some of these people again. With just around 40 days left here in Oslo, I must admit that I will miss all of this more that I can describe. I have made some of the best friends of my life and I've experienced so much! Okay then, lets continue with Hamburg. We spent our days sight seeing and our nights enjoying Reeperbahn, a street in Hamburg known in English as "The most sinful mile on Earth". The area has a feeling slightly similar to Amsterdam. However, I would say that the previous title might be a bit of an exaggeration. Either way, it was still great to see all of the old group again and to enjoy a few drinks with friends. I couldn't have asked for a better crowd! 

The Rathaus in Hamburg
Those of us left from last semester! (Alicia, Me, Daniel- bottom and Jorge-right)
Boat tour in Hamburg 
Most of the group in Hamburg. Picture Courtesy of Shooter's bar. 
This basically sums up my life as of recent. I plan to do some hiking this weekend with some friends in Lillehammer, a small town outside of Oslo. I'm also looking at heading to London or Copenhagen in Early May! Keep your eyes open for another blog and start the countdowns. There won't be much more after this blog folks! 

Stay tuned for more Adventures of Norway

No comments:

Post a Comment